Chicken Liver Bourbon Mousse
Courtesy of Chop Butchery, Portland, OR
- 2.5 oz butter, for sauté
- 4 oz bacon
- 1-1/4 c. onion, diced
- 1-1/4 c. apple, diced
- 1-1/4 c. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 4 tsp épices fines
- 2 Tbsp sage
- 2-1/2 lbs chicken liver
- 1 lb cold butter, diced
- 1/2 lb mascarpone
- 1 c. bourbon
- Make the spice mix: Combine the white pepper, thyme, curry powder, épices fines and sage. Set aside.
- Place chicken livers on a kitchen towel and salt them with 3 Tbsp of salt.
- In a deep dish pan, saute the bacon, onion, apple and mushroom in 1 oz of butter until caramelized. Add chopped garlic and spices and set aside on a low simmer.
- Melt butter in a separate pan set on medium high until butter just starts to turn brown. Add liver to butter, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Sear 1/2 of the chicken liver on one side for two minutes; turn over for another two minutes. Caution: Livers will splatter so don't stand too close while you sear them. If possible, use a splatter guard.
- Deglaze with 1/2 cup of bourbon.
- Place chicken liver in pan with the sauteed veg and spices.
- Repeat with the other half of the livers.
- Place 1/2 lb of cold butter and 1/4 lb of mascarpone in a food processor and top with half of the liver and veg mixture.
- Puree until smooth.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve using a ladle to push through into a bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Set in individual crocks or a shallow bowl and place in refrigerator overnight.